“This tofu & rice was old and sad and wanted me to kill it. Now I will eat it.” How can we forget the mocking twitter line from Ricky Gervais, pictured next to Rebecca Francis who harvested a bull giraffe on an African safari? We will spare the details of Rebecca’s ethical kill that fed local villages. What is relevant is Gervais’s “kill shot,” the truth behind his tofu and rice.
Tofu is produced from soybeans, which happen to be one of the most environmentally destructive crops on the planet. You know what else is? Rice.
Soybean farming is one of the largest destructive forces to the Amazon Rainforests. In Brazil alone, that helped contribute to over 50,000 square miles of rainforest being cut down in five years. After all, Brazil only produces 20% of the world’s oxygen. We can rant for pages on the facts about how severe of an impact soybean farming has on an international level.
Ironically, Ricky Gervais’s “old and sad” bowl with tofu is part of the largest threat to endangered wildlife in the Amazon. Just for a quick reality check, Rebecca’s giraffe was not endangered.
In the United States there are over 80 million acres of soybeans being grown, 80% of which are genetically modified (It is estimated that nearly 2/3 of the world’s soybeans are GMO). If there is one thing that gets us going at HunterGreen.org, it is GMO’s. These pesticide-resistant plants allow for the spraying of large amounts of chemicals that not only destroy the natural ecosystems, but also threaten the health of humans.
Before you anti-hunters start with the “80% of soy is used to feed livestock” argument, this is HunterGreen.org. We are wild game eaters and have an active reputation for fighting against corporate farming and GMO’s. And don’t forget, you are still the other 20% of the problem. Feel free to watch our controversial film “The Original Red Meat” about one of our sustainable food sources.
While we will spare all of you another lengthy explanation on how rice is also contributing to the downfall of our planet, we hope that Ricky Gervais stops promoting environmentally destructive practices. Although his millionaire status may allow him to buy organically or be eco-conscious with his soy products, we are sure this is not the case for his millions of followers.
Ricky, we will also spare you from death threats, as they are reckless and dangerous. But maybe the humans of one of the largest modern tragedies of slavery would feel differently. Those are the thousands of Brazilian soybean workers fighting for their freedom and fearing for their lives. Congratulations and thank you for killing that tofu, as it is truly a threat to modern conservation.